Moycullen men make short work of Roscommon rivals

Moycullen 2-16
Michael Glavey’s 2-7

Combining substance and style Moycullen registered a convincing Connacht Intermediate Football semi-final success over Michael Glavey’s at Dr Hyde Park on Sunday afternoon.

There was so much to admire in how Moycullen dealt with Michael Glavey’s, who also contributed to a lively match. The most telling statistic from Moycullen’s triumph was the victors tally of 2-16 from 28 shots which was an efficient total confirming the potential within the Galway team’s ranks.

Michael Glavey’s were committed and courageous, but they just lacked the class Moycullen possessed. The bitter pain which accompanied the harrowing 2014 county final defeat to neighbours Killanin means Moycullen have been primed for matches throughout the current campaign.

This tricky fixture with Michael Glavey’s showcased Moycullen at their most effective as the nine point winning margin gave a crisp and accurate reflection of what happened. Michael Glavey’s were willing and competent, but Moycullen just possessed more forward punch.

Brian Faherty and Conor Bohan were immense, while Philip Lydon was sharp inside. Minors Sean Kelly and Dessie Conneely flashed a reminder of why they are so highly regarded by Moycullen with assured displays too. Gareth Bradshaw revelled in a withdrawn role knitting the play together nicely for Moycullen, who were forced to start without influential midfielder Mark Lydon.

Seosamh O’Fatharta proved to be an able deputy and combined with the excellent Peter Cooke as Moycullen delivered a purposeful first-half performance to seize control against an enthusiastic Michael Glavey’s outfit, who have won Junior and Intermediate titles in Roscommon in the past 14 months.

That type of winning mentality ensured Michael Glavey’s brought a steely determination with them pocketing a fifth minute goal. Tiernan Murphy and Gary Patterson were heavily involved as Stephen Comer rattled the Moycullen net.

The Moycullen response was sharp, though, as they grabbed two goals themselves inside a blistering 90 second spell. Brian Faherty’s major in the seventh minute was fortuitous as Michael Glavey’s goalkeeper Rory Mannion carried the ball over the line under pressure.

Sean Kelly’s effort in the ninth minute was chiefly down the teenager’s pace as he wriggled clear from a string of Michael Glavey’s defenders. Kelly’s finish was precise and when Philip Lydon, potent in attack, drilled over a point Moycullen led 2-2 to 1-0 after 10 minutes.

(Source: Connacht Tribune)